June 2, 2017 | Red Deer, AB – Westerner Days Fair & Exposition has over 20 agricultural events and attractions! This year’s shows will focus on creating an educational and entertaining experience for everyone. Westerner Park is proud to announce exciting new additions to our agricultural program for the Fair.
- 2017 Westerner Days Pony Steeplechase Championship Series – Don’t miss out on the action as the smallest race horses with the biggest hearts take centre stage.
- Ranch Hand Competition – This event is a throwback to the past when neighbouring ranches would come together and hold a competition to see whose cowboys were the best riders, ropers and all round toughest hands.
- Gypsy Vanner Feathered Horse Show – The Gypsy Vanner is a beautiful breed often referred to as a “people-sized” draft horse. The Gypsy Vanner is a wonderful family horse and is popular as a trail horse due to its unflappable nature.
- Equine Mounted Games – These relay type races are played on horseback, which is modelled after old military mounted troop exercises that were used to keep the soldiers' skills sharp. This is a fast-paced exciting sport that is sure to keep you on the edge of your seat!
- Equine Experience – The Equine Experience will take you out of city life and immerse you in the world of horses. Walk through the barn to meet the horses, learn about the different breeds and how to take care of them.
- Xtreme Cowboy Competition – Learn good horsemanship by enhancing the relationship between a horse and a ride through obstacles that challenges the rider’s skills.
- Urban Farm – Through an interactive and experiential environment we will create a farm fresh experience right in the heart of Westerner Days. Learn some things that you can do in your own backyard. Tour our new Westerner Park Urban Farm and see what we are doing to help educate our community on ways to create a sustainable food future.
The AFSC Livestock Pavilion is the place to find exhibitors showcasing their cattle, goats, miniature donkeys and stock dog trials. The following people’s favourite events will return.
- Stock Dog Trials – A great competitive dog sport where herding dogs move sheep around a field, fences, gates or enclosures as directed by their handlers.
- Miniature Donkey Extravaganza II Show – This show is expected to be bigger and better than ever! We are excited to welcome exhibitors from all over Canada and the United States. Show runs Friday and Saturday with the junior show on Sunday.
- Beef Shows – On Friday, July 20 at noon the Maine Anjou Junior and Shorthorn Junior Show will kick off another exciting Beef Show being held in the Livestock Pavilion.
- Goat Shows – We’re excited to be hosting the “Kids Promoting Kids” Westerner 4-H and Junior Goat Show! Wednesday's Dairy Goat Show will feature Alpine, Toggenburg, La Mancha, Saanen, Nubian and Recorded Grade dairy classes.
- Canadian Heritage Breeds Poultry Show – The Canadian Heritage Breeds Association works to promote and educate people about the importance of heritage breed livestock. You will leave with a better understanding of what breeds are native to Canada and what we can do to preserve and protect them.
- Little Red Barn – The Little Red Barn will once again feature the Petting Pals Petting Zoo, home to over 70 different animals, presented by BIG 105 FM and Cosmos Bottle Depot!
- 19th Annual Westerner Days Red Deer Motors North American Pony Chuckwagons Championships – We are thrilled to have 48 wagons competing daily for top honours, presented by Walway Waste and 96.5 CKFM. Before ever race, the Canadian Cowboy Mounted Shooters will kick-off the pony chucks with a fast action entertaining event!
There is so much to see and do at the 2017 Westerner Days agricultural events and attractions. Do not forget to buy your RAD and MEGA passes before the discounted prices expire on June 15 at 11:59 pm. Learn more by visiting www.westernerdays.ca/tickets.